Sign up to be notified by email when Gov. Inslee directs flags be lowered to half-staff.
Gov. Inslee will direct the flag to be lowered to half-staff on these occasions:
- Peace Officers Memorial Day, May 15 (unless that day is also Armed Forces Day)
- Memorial Day, flag lowered from sunrise to noon
- Patriot Day, September 11
- National Firefighters Memorial Day, October (typically during Fire Prevention Week)
- National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day, December 7
- In the event of the death of a principal federal or state government official
- In the event of the death of a state government employee, or a member of the public safety community, killed in the line of duty
- In the event of the death of a member of the armed forces from Washington state while serving on active duty
Other government entities, citizens and businesses are encouraged to join this recognition. In working with families of the fallen, we find it is most meaningful to lower flags on the day of the formal memorial services. This is the state’s standard protocol. Please note that when the President of the United States issues a flag lowering order, the Governor will make a corresponding directive.
POW/MIA Flag Display
Every state agency, institution of higher education and every county, city, and town shall display the national league of families POW/MIA flag along with the state and national flags on certain days according to RCW 1.20.017 which was passed by the state legislature.
These designated days are:
- Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day on March 30
- Former Prisoners of War Day on April 9
- Armed Forces Day on the third Saturday in May
- Memorial Day on the last Monday in May
- Flag Day on June 14
- Independence Day on July 4
- National Korean War Veterans Armistice Day on July 27
- National POW/MIA Recognition Day third Friday in September
- Veterans’ Day on November 11
- Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day on December 7
If the designated day falls on a Saturday or Sunday, then the POW/MIA flag will be displayed on the preceding Friday and may remain up over the weekend.
Latest Flag Lowering Notices
Directives issued by Gov. Inslee