Gov. Jay Inslee's Legislative Director Drew Shirk sent the following message to legislators and legislative staff today:
Due to the extraordinary circumstances to protect the public’s health from COVID-19, the governor’s office will not hold public bill signings for any remaining bills from the 2020 Legislative session.
This is one extra precaution we’re taking to maintain public health standards and minimize COVID-19 exposure in large, social settings.
Until circumstances change, here are the new rules for bill signings:
- Members of the public can view the bill signings on TVW.
- Media representatives who RSVP may attend the signings. Please contact the press line to RSVP and ask questions related to the event.
- We invite the primary sponsor of a bill and the primary sponsor of the companion bill to attend their bill signing as long as they RSVP.
- Legislative members who RSVP may bring one guest who must also RSVP. If a member or guest does not RSVP, they cannot attend.
- Members and guests can RSVP by emailing Laurie Lien at Laurie.Lien@gov.wa.gov
We did not make this decision lightly – public access to the bill process is a priority for Gov. Inslee. This recommendation comes from numerous medical and health officials over the past few days, and our office will do all we can to support this recommendation.