Gov. Jay Inslee today announced his salmon recovery proposals for the 2022 legislative session, which will bolster Washington’s leadership in protecting and restoring salmon across the state.
The governor put forward a $187 million investment in a salmon strategy that will:
- Protect and restore vital salmon habitat.
- Invest in clean water infrastructure for salmon and people.
- Correct fish passage barriers and restore salmon access to historical habitat.
- Build climate resiliency.
- Align harvest, hatcheries and hydropower with salmon recovery.
- Address predation and food web issues for salmon.
- Enhance commitments and coordination across agencies and programs.
- Strengthen science, monitoring and accountability.
“There is no time to waste. We have a choice between a future with salmon or a future without them. Salmon need immediate and urgent action to ensure their survival. That’s why, for the 2022 legislative session, salmon recovery is a top priority and have both policy and funding to help protect them,” Inslee said.
Read the rest of the story on the governor's Medium page.